top of page

What is tax-related identity theft?


Tax-related identity theft occurs when someone uses your stolen Social Security

number to file a tax return claiming a fraudulent refund.

You may be unaware that this has happened until you efile your return and discover

that a return already has been filed using your SSN. Or, the IRS may send you a letter

saying we have identified a suspicious return using your SSN.


Steps to take if you become a victim


If you are a victim of identity theft, the Federal Trade Commission recommends these steps:


  • File a complaint with the FTC at


  • Contact one of the three major credit bureaus to place a ‘fraud alert’ on your credit records:


  • Contact your financial institutions, and close any financial or credit accounts opened without your permission or tampered with by identity thieves.


If your SSN is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, the IRS recommends these additional steps:


  • Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided or, if instructed, go to

  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, if your efiled return rejects because of a duplicate filing under your SSN or you are instructed to do so. Use a fillable form at, print, then attach the form to your return and mail according to instructions.

  • Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper.


If you previously contacted the IRS and did not have a resolution, contact us for specialized assistance at 1-800-908-4490. We have teams available to assist.


bottom of page